Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 1 on the Quest to Quit Smoking

Today is the day that I quit smoking.  I know there are at least a few others joining me on this adventure so I figured I would share my experiences, and maybe some of you may want to share yours as well. 

I smoked my last cigarette last night, and put on a patch before going to bed because I was craving more before I went to bed, and the booklet said that wearing them overnight can help avoid cravings first thing in the morning.  That seemed to work.  I was awake for over an hour before I even thought about smoking.  That’s when the strangeness started setting in.  I started catching myself unconsciously searching in my pockets for a pack of cigarettes.  My lighter was there, my spare, but no cigarettes. 

Having realized that I am doing this concerns me a little bit because buying them has  also become habit.  Occasionally I’ll walk into a store to get something and ask for a pack just out of habit.  I’m afraid to go to the store now because I’m afraid I’ll do this.

So far other than the habitual issues, I’m not having any problems.  The patch seems to be doing its job and I don’t have any cravings.  I didn’t have any strange dreams last night, and the patch isn’t bothering me.  Hopefully this will be it!

Good luck to all of you!

0 comments: