Monday, June 30, 2008

Quitting Smoking as a Technique to Improve your Self Confidence

This morning on my way into the office this morning, I made the decision to quit smoking once and for all. As I was driving and thinking about the implications of quitting I realized how overcoming the nicotine addiction can be another big step in improving my self-confidence. Quitting cigarettes can give one much more than simply the sence of accomplishment gained from accomplishing something so difficult. Most of the positive effects are fairly obvious. You will be healthier, and will feel better day-to-day. Cigarettes are expensive, so depending on how much you smoke, and how you buy them, you could end up saving a fairly large chunck of change each month. When you go out in public, you will no longer wonder if you smell like cigarettes. All of these can make a huge difference in your self confidence, which in the end will help your social anxiety. You may be afraid to try to quit, because you might fail. You shouldn't be. The nicotine addiction is extremely difficult to dump for some people (including me), and there is no way to guarantee that you'll be able to do it. Our goal in this case is to try our best to make our lives smoke free. At the very least, we'll smoke a few less cigarettes than we would have otherwise. While keeping that in mind, also keep in mind that our long term goal is to quit. In order to do that we need to maintain positivity, and believe that we will succeed. If you're nervous about quitting alone, feel free to join me. I will be quitting on Thursday, July 3rd (2008). Feel free to comment, or join me on plurk and we can work together. In addition to being open to talk, I will also be blogging about my experiences, and providing tips and thoughts as I go, so make sure you check back often. I hope to see a few of you join me in this adventure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also attempting to kick the nic habit. I've been smoking for about 9 years now, and now at almost 29, I think it's time. My birthday is July 27th, and hopefully by then, I can claim to be still smoke free.

I'll keep you posted

S

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It was the last little piece of inspiration that i needed to quit. I am quitting with you on Thursday!!

Andy said...

I will also be 29 this year on August 7th. It's great to see others jumping on this opportunity!