Sunday, May 11, 2008

Why read "The Power of Now"?

Up until recently, I spent every day suffering every day, as I struggled working toward getting everything I "needed" to be happy as many people do. Based on the way I was looking at things, I needed to have certain things before I'd really be happy, but I could never afford them. Then I found "The Power of Now" and after reading it twice, my life began to change.

Years ago, a friend of mine who struggled with cancer for years told me "You're lucky. Your smart, you have a good family, and hopefully you live a long life. Just do yourself a favor, and live each day like its your last because you never know when it might end." At the time I thought I understood what he mean and at times I did exactly as he meant. Until I read and began to understand "The Power of Now," I really never understood what he was really saying.

I interpreted his words to mean that I should basically get everything I wanted, and do whatever I wanted to make myself happy. That didn't work because I couldn't afford the things I thought I wanted, nor could I afford to do some of things I wanted to do.

After I read "The Power of Now" I truely understood what he had told me. There is more to life than the things we have and do. Most of us let it pass us by without ever noticing what we're missing. We waste our time putting our energy into thinking about the things that have happened in the past or could happen in the future rather than focusing on now, and seeing the beauty in what we have.

That one book has had an incredible influence on my life. I no longer spend every day of my life looking forward to tomorrow. Any anxiety I used to have about what would happen I missed before trying to find the things I thought I wanted. Most importantly I'm happier now than I have ever been in my life, and nothing that happened yesterday or will happen tomorrow can change that.

"The Power of Now" completely changed my life.

0 comments: